Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Mafia Wars!

What a coincidence that I'm blogging on Mafia Wars! I actually think the game is pretty addictive and it appeals to me as a user despite its rather ugly design and meaningless clicking just to increase the amount of Cash that you have, fight, buy properties or increase inventory. As Ji Wei puts it during the presentation, this is a really simple application with not much animation, graphics and is relatively simple to program, but still, more than 6.3 million people play it everyday!

To summarize, what made Mafia Wars so popular?

if you've read "Rich Dad Poor Dad" before, you realize that Robert Kiyosaki always has his mantra of "best-selling author" vs. "best-writing author". A well-written book may not sell as well as a book that was well-marketed (or rather, a book that appeals to readers, a book that people will need and want to read). I think this is true for FB apps (and for that matter, other web developments) as well. What will get FB users addicted to a game is not a darn difficult to program app full of graphics/animations/functions. What's needed to make an app sell and reach out to tons of people is a basic/easy interface that people can understand within 2 mins.

Another point that I felt was noteworthy for Facebook application developers was how optimization plays a big role in getting tons of people to use the app in the shortest possible time. For instance, players have to invite a certain number of friends to join their Mafia before they can unlock a higher level. This is a fantastic marketing strategy and is akin to online word-of-mouth, just that it is way more effective. A user who desperately wants to unlock that higher level will try to invite all his friends to join Mafia Wars, and may even do so repetitively.

And lastly, what makes Mafia Wars so addictive?
1. buy more weapons, inventory, armour, loot other players, chance to fight with other players/friends
2. buy more properties to increase cashflow, increase payout and current take
3. reach higher Levels in Mafia Wars - unlock different property, inventory, weapons - maybe want to see what's in store for me?
4. Earn Godfather points to get exotic weapons, inventory

the most important point out of the four is the chance to reach higher and higher levels of gameplay. I think this introduces a competitive element in Mafia Wars, and people are naturally keen to keep going back to the game as long as they think there's more they can do in Mafia Wars.

Hmm, food for thought regarding gaming apps:
1. keep the concept simple and straightforward. know who your users are. People probably aren't very interested in reading a tutorial on how to play your game. they just want to figure it out by themselves and if they manage to, they'll keep playing. if they don't, you just lost a customer and all his friends.
2. Spam. i hate to write this, but this works!
3. give people a reason to re-use the app over and over again.

10 comments:

  1. Actually these kind of games were pretty popular even before Facebook. I don't know if you know utopia or earth 2025 (My era one) but they are insanely popular and they are text based games. Another crazily popular text based game is archmage.

    I think all these games are popular because firstly, it's online and secondly, it's something you would never do or never be in your whole life. People loves to do what they can't do, to fulfill their desires. Like in recent games like fallout 3, you can choose to be good or evil but a lot of people choose to be evil! Because they want to do something different from their current life.

    So I roughly understand why this game is so popular. I only don't understand why The Sims is so popular. Eat, sleep, work, study, grow old, die. What's so interesting about that?

    - Hong Jun

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think the Mafia World has managed to "spam" in a disguise way by asking users to invite their friends to level up! The same concept is also used in The Cafe World, which I am supposed to blog on. In the Cafe World, a user has to invite neighbors to expend the store. Same concept as the Mafia World. So I think it is very important for a Facebook Application to spam in a "disguised" way through users.

    ReplyDelete
  3. @Lin Myat: I believe that's how a lot of games started in the past. I remembered last time when I want to play some apps, I would have to invite a certain number of friends before I could do so. But since now Facebook insists developers to have a skip button, a lot of facebook apps died.

    But now, this kind of new type of invites came. (It is hidden actually) But users will try and invite their friends to progress in their games.. Humans are great in finding workarounds..

    - Hong Jun

    ReplyDelete
  4. heh, Zynga has clearly hit on a fantastic growth model by playing on our basic weaknesses. As Mark Pincus says, he did everything to bring in the revenue.

    Hmm, i personally think that though this has proven hugely successful, it is not something that can last in the long run. Seems like Mafia's user base peaked at around 6m per day?

    at the end of the day, still have to create real value for users to keep coming back. as for myself, i stopped playing mafia wars ever since i reached "master associate". simply put, it became really meaningless to stay in the game..

    ReplyDelete
  5. That's how a lot of multiplayer games will end because it's very hard to keep a game moving and enjoy growth at the same time.

    To counter that, they will diversify in the end and create new games to attract a new crowd. I guess that's what zynga is doing now, creating a lot of killer apps to earn as much as possible.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I agree with what WiRuS has said, a developer has to move on when the majority of users reached higher levels. I guess that's the reason why MMORPG kept introducing expansion packs. Maybe Mafia Wars should spin off an expansion?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya.. Maybe they should create Mafia Wars: The Godfather series.. And they now manage peons instead of being managed as peons.. ha..

    - Hong Jun

    ReplyDelete
  8. that sounds like a viable idea. Check out "The Hierarchy" it's an awesome Mafia Wars clone with a story line.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Spam huh? heh, NOC has changed my mind on the whole concept of spam.. I've been having at least 10 spam-mails a day ever since I've come here, but while many of the mails are just to give us a good laugh for the day, so many of these mails also spark conversations and debates, and keep us all updated on the latest cool things that are happening all over the world! (It also makes spreading the word sooo much easier when spamming is part of the culture :P)

    So i say --- SPAM! :P

    ReplyDelete